Firebug Lite FAQ
 Where to Get Help
 Reporting bugs and feature requests
 Where do I report a bug or a feature request?
- If you are unsure about the bug/feature request, or it is a general or complex subject, use the Firebug newsgroup
- If you have a test case to reproduce the problem, or exemplify the feature you are requesting, use the issue tracker
- Do NOT post bug reports and/or feature requests in this wiki, twitter, in the Google Chrome extension gallery, blog posts, and any other place than the Firebug newsgroup and the Firebug Issues List.
 How do I report a bug?
- Include the term "Firebug Lite" in the summary of the report
- Inform the following info: which browser you are using and the version numbers of Firebug Lite, your browser, and your OS
- Provide a test case.
- Check that you have "starred" the issue.
- Keep in mind that the amount of time you invest in your bug report is directly proportional to the chances of the bug being fixed. This is an open source project and we have few resources at our disposal. Consequently we are more likely to dedicate our time on bugs that are clear to understand and reproducible.
 How do I request a feature?
Requesting features/enhancements for Firebug Lite is easy. Start a new issue as explained in the "How do I report a bug?" section, and remember to include the text "Enhancement: " in the beginning of the summary, so an administrator can later label the issue as an enhancement request.
 General questions
 What is Firebug Lite?
Here's a brief history of Firebug Lite:
- Back in 2006, Joe Hewitt, the creator of Firebug, got tired of people constantly asking "How do I make Firebug run in IE?" and so created a simple console viewer baptized as "Firebug Lite 1.0". Later, with some small contributions from the community, "Firebug Lite 1.1" was released.
- So far, Firebug Lite was just a simplified version of the Console panel. In 2008, Azer Koçulu decided to change that and joined the Firebug Working Group. He was previously working on a similar tool called "pi.debugger" so he started improving the application to support more Firebug features. The result was "Firebug Lite 1.2" and it was a great improvement over the 1.1 version. Consequently, Firebug Lite started gaining popularity, and more developers started contributing to the project, like Mike Ratcliffe (which has been fixed more than 50 bugs in the 1.2 version), and Mike Wilcox.
- Thinking how to improve even more the Lite version, Pedro Simonetti started wondering if some of Firebug's source code could be ported to a cross-browser version. If possible, it could vastly improve the look and feel of the application. In 2010, after a long period of development, Firebug Lite 1.3 graduated out of beta. The new architecture allows using Firebug modules with minimal changes, and currently 60% of Firebug's code has been ported. Future versions of Firebug Lite will (hopelly) allow sharing code with Firebug without requiring any modifications.
 What browsers are supported?
Firebug Lite supports the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8
 Why using Firebug Lite and not my favorite tool?
No one said not to use your favorite tool! Firebug Lite is just one more tool to help developers build their web applications.
 What are the advantages of Firebug Lite
The main advantages of Firebug Lite are:
- Fast to load
- Don't require installation
- Easy to embed
- Easy to extend
 General problems
 It doesn't work on local pages
You can solve this problem by loading your page in a web server installed in your machine, so you can access that local files through "http://" addresses. This is the best solution: it is safer, and you'll get the most of what Firebug Lite can give you. I recommend using Apache HTTP Server, but you can use anyone (like IIS for example).
 I keep seeing "Access to restricted URI denied"
You can workaround this problem by loading the stylesheets locally (that is, in the same domain). So, you might use:
<link href="/path/to/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="http://myserver.com/path/to/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
Please note that the same apply to imported rules. You might use:
Follow our progress:
We are working on ways to solve this issue in the future. If you want to get an email notification about our progress on it, please "star" the Issue 3225.
 I keep seeing "This element has no style rules"
 HTML Panel
 I can't edit HTML attributes
 CSS and Style Panels
 I can't see all stylesheets
 I keep seeing "This element has no style rules"
 I can't see line numbers of CSS rules
 Script Panel
 I can't see all scripts
 About Firebug Lite extension for Google Chrome
 What's the difference between the extension and the bookmarlet?
 Why not use the Chrome Developer Tools?
Nobody said not to use Chrome Developer Tools. We believe the best tool is the one a person is comfortable and productive with to do a specific task, or simply the one a person likes. Web development covers a lot of different things and for each different case some tool might be better than others. For instance, Fiddler allows you to break on a network request and change headers on-the-fly. If you have a strange problem with HTTP headers, using Fiddler will be probably a better choice than use Chrome Developer Tools, Firebug or Firebug Lite.
 What does Firebug Lite for Chrome have that the webkit developer tools doesn't?
[TODO: add details]
- rich representation of objects - each thing is displayed differently in Firebug Lite according to several factors like its type, context, size, etc. Strings, numbers, functions, objects will have distinct representations, and the objects themselves will have several distinct representations. For example, if it is an array it will show the list with the short representation of each item; if it is a mouse event it will show the mouse coordinates; if it is a HTML Element it will show the tag name, id and class; and so on...
- deep introspection
- DOM Panel
- rich XHR watcher
- rich CSS editing
- tooltip for images
- extension system
 Why it doesn't work on some pages?
 I got a "Signature verification failed" error when I try to install
 How to activate/deactivate Firebug Lite for a particular site
 I click in the bug icon but Firebug Lite does not start