Crossfire is a Firebug extension which implements a JSON protocol to allow remote clients (like an IDE or code editor) to connect to Firebug.
Who is using Crossfire ?
One of the main goals of Crossfire is to provide a simple and straight-forward method for tools in other processes to obtain the same kind of information that Firebug has about the Web pages the user is debugging.
- The Firebug Working Group is currently planning to use Crossfire in future versions of Firebug as a solution for the out-of-process plugin architecture of Firefox 4.
- The 8.0 beta version of IBM's Rational Application Developer is using Crossfire to enhance their existing Firebug integration. RAD Open Beta Demo video
Getting started with Crossfire contains some helpful information for getting started. This is mostly intended for developers interested in building tools that connect to Crossfire, and assumes some familiarity with Firebug and Firefox extensions.
There are pre-built versions of Crossfire available: http://getfirebug.com/releases/crossfire/
Connecting Firebug in Firefox to another Firebug in Firefox is a tutorial that explains how to connect the Crossfire client and Crossfire server by running to separate Firefox processes.
Issues in Crossfire are tracked with Firebug's issue tracker using the 'crossfire' label.
Documentation and examples for the protocol Crossfire: Crossfire Protocol Reference
Release Plan / Schedule
- Version 0.1: Alpha-only developer preview, proof-of-concept. Firebug 1.5/1.6
- Version 0.2: Target Crossfire beta for Firebug 1.6. Protocol solidifying (not frozen).
- Version 0.3: Target stable quality for Firebug 1.7 - add support for extensions/modules.
- Version 0.4: Firebug 1.8 / Firebug Lite - enable cross-process/cross-browser Firebug.
- Version 0.5: TBD
- API Documentation http://getfirebug.com/developer/api/crossfire0.1/index.html
- Crossfire 0.2 Planning
- 0.2 API documentation http://getfirebug.com/developer/api/crossfire0.2/index.html
The Crossfire Tools API is a way for extensions to utilize Crossfire's socket connection and packet-handling features to add additional functionality to Firebug/Crossfire.