- This page is intended to summarize plans and directions for Firebug.next
- Provide any feedback on Firebug newsgroup
- 1 Strategy
- 2 Version Numbering
- 3 Schedule
- 4 Suggested Features
- 5 Planned Features / Changes
- 5.1 Regular Tasks
- 5.2 Feature Overview
- 5.3 Feature Description
- 5.3.1 Adopt JSD2
- 5.3.2 SPDY Support
- 5.3.3 Group Console Messages
- 5.3.4 Support for PerformanceTiming
- 5.3.5 Integrate SelectBug
- 5.3.6 Improve $x()
- 5.3.7 Auto-completion for Command Editor
- 5.3.8 Event types filter
- 5.3.10 Deleting all watch expressions at once
- 5.3.11 Activate Same Origin URLs enhancements
- 6 Resources
This section describes goals and strategy that keeps Firebug a competitive in-browser tool and leader in space of in-browser developer tools.
- Improve memory footprint & performance
- Reuse built-in dev-tools API and components
- Innovate features that only Firebug can deliver
- Extension compatibility
- Faster release cycle
The next planned version number is: 1.11
Development happens on Firebug 1.11 branch (currently alpha).
If a significant new feature (or set of features) is introduced in new release the version numbering can move into 2.* scheme. An example of such feature can be support for remote debugging.
The goal is to introduce new Firebug release till the end of 2012
|Beta||9th of November|
|Final Release||7th of December|
- The entire release cycle (from the first alpha to the final release) should target 4-5 months
- The beta phase should be at least 4 weeks
- The new release should introduce 8-10 new features (or significant bug fixes)
Use this section to suggest any feature you'd like to see in Firebug.next.
- JSD2 Adoption
- Remote Debugging
- Integrating FireClosure
Planned Features / Changes
This section summarizes all features that are planned for Firebug.next. Every feature in this section must have an owner.
|Adopt JSD2||Honza, Sebastian, Farshid||Issue 5421: Adopt JSD2||started|
|Group Console Messages||Sebastian||Issue 4979: Group console messages||started|
|SPDY Support||Bharath||Issue 5696: SPDY support in the Net panel||done|
| Support for
||Honza||Issue 5843: Support for PerformanceTiming spec||done|
|Integrate SelectBug||Honza||Issue 5843: Integrate SelectBug extension into Firebug||done|
||Sebastian||Issue 18: Beef up $x||done|
|Auto-completion for Command Editor||Simon|| Issue 55: Auto-completion for Command Editor
issue 5741: Auto-completion within expression in Command Line
|Event types filter||Sebastian||Issue 229: Allow event types to be filtered with "Log Events"||started|
Issue 5175: Integrate Orion as replacement for the Script panel UI
|Delete all watch expressions at once||Florent||Issue 5639: Allow deleting all watch expressions at once||done|
|Activate Same Origin URLs enhancements||Sebastian||Issue 2202: Activate Same Origin URLs enhancements||done|
- Feature planning should keep in mind the suggested release schedule above
This section provides detailed description of all planned features.
Firebug script debugger and all related features like BON (break on ...) should be based on new JSD2 API. Using JSD2 API will also enable remote debugging.
Part of this task is also internal Firebug architecture refactoring so it's ready for remote debugging features. Note that adopting JSD2 doesn't automatically mean that Firebug is remote-debugging-ready. This is covered by issue 5837
Note that this task doesn't have to make it into Firebug.next, but it could be possible (if useful) to at least merge code changes.
Source Repository: Development happens on JSD2 branch
- Display use of SPDY protocol for requests inside Net Panel
Group Console Messages
Console messages optionally need to be grouped to avoid spamming the Console Panel.
- Group error messages
- Group messages produced by the
Performance timing data accessible through
window.performance.timing should be displayed.
- Decide where and how to display the data (probably inside Console Panel)
- Create the graphical display
- Integrate SelectBug
- Fix any occurring errors
$x()return arrays, strings, integers and booleans
- Add a parameter to specify the root element
- Add a parameter to specify the return type
Auto-completion for Command Editor
- Allow auto-completion within an expression
- Add auto-completion to the Command Editor
- Enhance positioning of the Completion List Popup
Event types filter
The user should have the possibility to choose certain event types to be logged to the Console Panel.
- Create menu items for the different event groups
- Refactor setting the event types to work together with the ones set via
SourceBoxcode by Orion
- Re-add context menu options
- Adjust CSS to match the Firebug UI
Deleting all watch expressions at once
Allow removing all watch expressions added to the Watch Side Panel at the same time.
- Add a context menu option "Delete All Watches"
Activate Same Origin URLs enhancements
- Change the activation logic to consider subdomains