- This page is intended to summarize plans and directions for Firebug.next
- Provide any feedback on Firebug newsgroup
- 1 Strategy
- 2 Version Numbering
- 3 Schedule
- 4 Suggested Features
- 5 Planned Features / Changes
- 5.1 Regular Tasks
- 5.2 Feature Overview
- 5.3 Feature Description
- 6 Resources
This section describes the strategy and goals that keep Firebug a competitive in-browser tool and leader in space of in-browser developer tools.
The next planned version number is 1.13.
Development happens on
master branch (currently alpha).
If a significant new feature (or set of features) is introduced in new release, the version numbering can move into 2.* scheme. An example of such a feature can be support for JSD2 or even remote debugging.
- The entire release cycle (from the first alpha to the final release) should target 6 months
- The beta phase should be at least 4 weeks
- The new release should introduce 8-10 new features (or significant bug fixes)
Use this section to suggest any feature you'd like to see in Firebug.next.
- Remote Debugging (reason: allows debugging on mobile devices; built-in dev tools already have this)
- Undo/redo option in HTML panel (+ CSS + DOM if possible) (issue 54, issue 2569; reason: people should be able to easily undo mistakes; built-in dev tools already have this)
- Cut option in HTML panel (issue 6217; reason: we already allow to copy HTML, OS conformity)
- Ignoring scripts while debugging (aka "black boxing", issue 4888; reason: makes debugging easier; built-in dev tools already have this)
- New inspector (issue 4848; would fix a bunch of problems; built-in dev tools already use a better approach)
- Display of pseudo-elements inside HTML Panel (issue 5785; reason: better UI and fixes issues; built-in dev tools have this now)
- Linux theme (issue 471; reason: better integrated UI for Linux users)
- Request auto-responder in the Net Panel (issue 6459; reason: makes much easier to debug response headers and JS files in a production environment).
- Integrate EventBug into Firebug (issue 5440; reason: simplifies debugging of event listeners)
- New screencasts! (issue 4508; reason: current screencasts are completely outdated, new features need to be described)
- User statistics collector (2633; reason: get info about Firebug usage to get a clue how to improve the UX)
Planned Features / Changes
This section summarizes all features that are planned for Firebug.next. Every feature in this section must have an owner.
|Adopt JSD2||Honza, Sebastian, Farshid||Issue 5421: Adopt JSD2||started|
Issue 5353: Integrate CodeMirror
|Auto-completion for Command Editor||Simon||
issue 5741: Auto-completion within expression in Command Line
issue 6968: Improve UI of Command Editor auto-completion popup
|Line numbers in CSS Edit Mode||Farshid||
|Folding for shorthand properties||Sebastian||Issue 5523: Folding for shorthand properties||not started|
|Sniff WebSocket traffic||Florent||Issue 6330: Sniff WebSocket traffic||not started|
|Display the return value and the exception thrown||Florent||
Issue 6857: Give the ability to modify the returned value (blocked by platform bug 736733)
|Display authored CSS color values||Sebastian||Issue 5507: Allow displaying original color values (blocked by platform bug 731271)||started|
Feature planning should keep in mind the suggested release schedule above
This section provides detailed description of all planned features.
Firebug script debugger and all related features like BON (break on ...) should be based on new JSD2 API. Using JSD2 API will also enable remote debugging.
Part of this task is also internal Firebug architecture refactoring so it's ready for remote debugging features. Note that adopting JSD2 doesn't automatically mean that Firebug is remote-debugging-ready. This is covered by issue 5837
Note that this task doesn't have to make it into Firebug.next, but it could be possible (if useful) to at least merge code changes.
- Firebug 1.7 BTI
- Script Panel Refactoring
- Remoting Prototype
- Remoting Architecture
- JSD2 list of tasks
Source Repository: Development happens on JSD2 branch
SourceBoxcode by Orion
- Re-add context menu options
- Adjust CSS to match the Firebug UI
Auto-completion for Command Editor
- Allow auto-completion within an expression
- Add auto-completion to the Command Editor
- Enhance positioning of the Completion List Popup
Line numbers in CSS Edit Mode
The Source Edit Mode of the CSS Panel should have line numbers for easier navigation.
- Integrate Orion into the Source Edit Mode
- Ajust the display to fit to the Firebug UI
Folding for shorthand properties
For shorthand CSS properties it should be possible to expand them to see the longhand properties that make them up.
- Save the longhand properties to every shorthand property
- Create a twisty and allow toggling the display of the longhand properties
- Remove the Expand Shorthand Properties option
Sniff WebSocket traffic
WebSocket requests should be displayed to the user.
- Create new tab for WebSocket requests
- Listen to WebSocket traffic
- Dynamically output the WebSocket messages
Display the return value and the exception thrown
The value being returned or the exception being thrown should be displayed to the user.
- Display a special "scope" row in the watch panel with these values
- Change the background color for this row
- Give the ability to edit the return value (future plan)
- Prevent the user from editing the exception thrown or the return value (for now)
There should be an option allowing the user to display the CSS color values as they were defined.
- Add the option to the options menu
- Implement the functionality for displaying the authored values
- Adjust the tooltip code to handle authored values