I found a Firebug Bug!
Every Firebug release goes through regression testing and community testing by alpha and beta users. In addition we use Firebug code to develop Firebug. Obvious and glaring "bugs" in Firebug are very often not things that Firebug can fix. Rather they are problems caused by other extensions, by unusual settings, or by bugs in Firefox.
Before you start, make sure your Firefox extensions are all updated.
If you have a problem with Firebug, first decide:
- Do you want the quickest way to stop having the problem, or
- Do you want to understand the problem so it can be fixed,
The quickest way to stop having the problem
- Does Firebug Install? No: contact Firefox support.
- Does Firebug Open? No: create a new Firefox profile.
- Is the Firebug user interface partly blank, or not responding? Yes: fix other extensions
- Is Firebug doing things you don't want? Yes: reset option
Contact Firefox Support
For all issues with installation, contact Firefox support.
Create a New Firefox Profile
Creating a new Firefox profile is a highly reliable way to solve problems. A new Firefox profile is a clean configuration with:
- no addons,
- no bookmarks, and
- no options from your current configuration
Reset All Firebug Options
Firebug > Firebug Icon Menu (upper left corner) > Options > Reset All
To understand the problem so it can be fixed
- Reproduce the problem
- Isolate the problem
- Report the problem
Reproducing the problem
To understand a problem you need to be able to reproduce it; to get the problem fixed you need to communicate the procedure to reproduce the problem. So the first and most critical step in fixing a problem is to reproduce it: find a sequence of steps that you can perform to show the problem when you first open Firefox. Write the steps down so you can remember them and repeat them.
Isolating the problem
Now that you can reproduce the problem, figure out who to blame:
- Create a new profile, install Firebug, reproduce the problem. Still a bug? Report the problem, else
- Return to your previous profile, open url "about:config", type "extensions.firebug", save the result in a text file, Reset All Options, reproduce the problem: solved? Then Report the problem using the list of settings, else
- Use "about:addons" or Firefox > Tools > Addons to disable all addons except Firebug. Solved? Then enable other extension until you find the buggy one and report it.