This page is intended to provide detailed instructions about how to use remote capabilities in Firebug.
The current development happens on jsd2 branch.
Following preferences need to be set (use about:config)
devtools.debugger.remote-enabled- must be set to true
extensions.firebug.serverMode- must be set to true
devtools.debugger.force-local- set to false if you want to connect to browser instance on another machine
extensions.firebug.serverHost- name of the remote host (localhost by default)
extensions.firebug.serverPort- remote port (5999 by default)
In order to make a connection start both browser instances (use two Firefox profiles if tested on one machine). The client side should automatically try to connect the server according to the prefs settings. See the Connecting... button in the main Firebug toolbar.
- Client: CONNECTION
Rough summary of steps to implement remotable Firebug prototype (starting with the Script and Net panels).
- Create a simple server side to connect to
- Implement basic connection object
- Provide simple UI to allow the user to connect the server
- Implement custom actors on the server side
- Implement new Script panel supporting remotable architectur
- Implement Script panel proxy on top of the connection object
- Move UI pieces from the old (JSD1 based) Script panel step by step into the new Script panel (JSD2 based).
- Connect existing built-in script-debugger actors