Script Panel Refactoring
This page summarizes support for remote JS debugging in Firebug (based on JSD2).
- Adopt JSD2 (get rid of all JSD1 APIs)
- Support Remote Debugging
JSD2 API Requirements
The following list summarizes list of high-level features that Firebug needs to support. It should be verified that all the features can re-implemented on top of JSD2 before starting the refactoring.
- List of scripts available on selected tab (including static, events and evaluated scripts) including iframes
- Stepping (into, over, out, resume, current line)
- Support for
- Support for breakpoints (add, remove, enable, disabled, conditional, list of existing breakpoints)
- Recognize executable lines
- Dynamic eval in a frame (used e.g. by the Watch panel when the debugger is halted)
- Get stack frames (including passed arguments)
- Scope chain variable exploring (with & closure scopes). It should be possible to see all values.
- Break on next call
- Profiling (was part of JSD1)
- Tracking (break on) throw/catch/error
- Tracking (monitoring) function calls
- Freezing page UI if debugger is halted (including timeouts, intervals and worker threads)
Not Ready in JSD2
- There is not source for evals.
- new Function scripts?
- Meta bug: Implement a script Debugger
- As soon as this one is fixed
- Profiling is unrelated to JSD2. What it the plan here?
- Tracking (break on) throw/catch/error, also what is that plan?
Script Panel Architecture
The Script panel needs to be built on top of JSD2, remote protocol and Firebug remote architecture. Remoting is already supported by [HTTP Monitor] and both components should share the same approaches and API